Recent Popular Posts

June 17, 2014

A scratch program for fractions

As part of getting the kids to program with scratch I realized that it was not all that trivial to draw circles and create different fractions by cutting the circle into many parts. I  created a function to draw any proper fraction within the constraints of something that students could understand. I then made it flexible for them to be able to use it at different locations and different radii.



I also used it with the younger children (5th grade) to get a handle on how to draw different fractions. They could pick a fraction at random and get a handle on how big or small it is on their own.

I'm looking forward to what kind of project will come from the children using these fractions and hoping other teachers also find it useful.

No comments: